Finished size is approximately 7 inches x 6 inches
Supplies you will need:
- 1 fat quarter main fabric (head, fins, back)
- 10 2-inch square cotton scraps in coordinating colors for scales
- 1 2-inch square scrap of wool blend felt for heart
- 1 1.5”x5” fabric strip in 2nd print in same color as main fabric
- 1 5.5”x5.5” fabric scrap in 3rd print in same color as main fabric (#7 body/tail)
- 2 buttons (5/8 to 3/4 inch for eyes)
- Polyester Fiberfill for stuffing
- Poly-pellet beads for stuffing
1. Print template onto card stock and cut out pattern pieces.
2. From main fabric print - cut one 9”x6” rectangle for fish back, one 4”x6” rectangle for upper and lower fins, and one fish head (pattern piece #6). Note: I like to use 3 different prints in the same colorway for the fish front pieces and have the back and fins match the fish's head.
3. From 2nd printed fabric in same color as main, cut one 1.5”x5” strip.
4. From 3rd printed fabric in same color as main, cut one pattern piece #7.
5. Cut one pattern piece #3 from felt.
Sew on traced lines leaving straight sides open for turning. Trim and turn right sides out, stuff with fiberfill, and sew edges together within seam line. All seams are 1/4 inch unless noted otherwise.
8. Position 2 of the scales (#2) on right side of fish body and tail (#7) as shown in placement guide. Pin and sew in place within seam line.
10. Place 3 remaining scales (#2) on raw straight edge of fabric strip as shown in placement guide. Pin and stitch in place withing seam line.
12. Pin upper and lower fins onto fish body front right sides together aligning front edge with seam between fish head and fabric strip. Stitch within seam line.
16. Applique felt heart on tail positioning as shown in template’s placement guide.
Sew up a school of these for your favorite child!